Friday, July 22, 2005

Breaking News - Knox County Democrat Party Vice Chairman Resigns

Hubert Smith the third Vice-Chairman resigned last evening in a meeting of the Board of Governors. Here is the text of the resignation letter that was read into the record at the Board of Governors meeting.

This was shocking to all in attendance, especially Knox County Democrat Chairman Jim Gray.

July 21, 2005

On April 5, 2005, I pledged to faithfully serve the Party by supporting its efforts. My personal commitment was to work to overturn the embarrassing disparity of Democrat to Republican officeholders in Knox County.

It seems to me that my personal commitment, to politically balance the elected officeholders in Knox County, is not shared by the majority of leadership in the Party.

The Truman Day Dinner historically has been the biggest social event of the year, and a successful fundraiser to help local candidates. To cancel the Truman Day Dinner, in my opinion, is an egregious act of disloyalty to the faithful Democrats in Knox county and East Tennessee at-large, who expect and support this annual event.

This, in my opinion, is a direct reflection of ineffective leadership at the top. We were told in June that there was a committee actively working on details. We now know that in fact there was no committee in place and was formed only a few weeks ago.

I no longer support the Knox County Party Chairman, and therefore I can no longer fulfill the oath and my sworn pledge to support the Party when I took office on April 5, 2005. I resign from the distinguished position of 3rd Vice-Chairman of the Democrat Party of Knox County Tennessee Board of Governors 2005-2007, effective immediately, this 21st day of July 2005.

Hubert Smith
July 21, 2005

It appears that the Democrats will not have a Truman Day Dinner in preparation for the 2006 election cycle.

No comments: