Tuesday, May 17, 2005

William Jennings Bryan - American politician and orator 1860-1925

"Never be afraid to stand with the minority when the minority is right, for the minority which is right will one day be the majority."

"The parents have a right to say that no teacher paid by their money shall rob their children of faith in God and send them back to their homes skeptical, or infidels, or agnostics, or atheists"

"There is no more reason to believe that man descended from some inferior animal than there is to believe that a stately mansion has descended from a small cottage."

"If we have to give up either religion or education, we should give up education"

"In this fight I have the most intolerant and vindictive enemies I have ever met and I have the largest majority on my side I have ever had and I am discussing the greatest issue I have ever discussed."

"The government being the people's business, it neccessarily follows that its operations should be at all times open to public view. Publicity is therefore as essential to honest administration as freedom of speech is to representative government. "Equal rights to all and Special privileges to none" is the maxim which should control in all departments of government."

"If this invisible germ of life in the grain of wheat can thus pass unimpaired through three thousand resurrections, I shall not doubt that my soul has power to clothe itself with a body suited to its new existence when this earthly frame has crumbled into dust."

"Behold a republic standing erect while empires all around are bowed beneath the weight of their own armaments--a republic whose flag is loved while other flags are only feared."

"I hope the two wings of the Democratic Party may flap together."

No comments: