Monday, February 26, 2007

Being a Christian

I started this blog in August 2004 at that time I was stepping down from the Knox County School Board (August 31, 2004) and felt that a blog was a way for me to remain in contact and contribute to the public dialogue within the Knox County community.

When I created my Profile on Blogger, I said. "I am a husband and father to three children. Active in my church, First Baptist Church Concord. Very active in community affairs." I am a husband to one wife. We married in March of 1988 and we have been married for 19 years this March. She is the only lady that I have been married to, which is unusual for marriages in this day and age that last, but it is by the Grace of God and lot's of patience and forgiveness on her part. We have three wonderful children. I am active in my church, First Baptist Church, Concord. I am very active in Community affairs. In August 2004, I had no idea that I would be the KnoxGOP Chairman from March 2005 - March 2007. So, the statement very active in Community affairs has been intensified since being written in August 2004.

What I did not consider at the time is that when people are critical of positions that I take or my successful record of beating Democrats or people that have a personal distaste of me. They will launch into negative tirade attacks mocking my Christian faith. It then escalates into attacks on my church and my Senior Pastor.

I have refused to post comments from posters that want to question my faith, my church or my Senior Pastor. One such notorious poster that has attempted this more than most is a local pastor. I refuse to post the comments because it is off topic and that is in the Rules of Engagement for Commenting and I refuse to allow my faith, my Church or my Senior Pastor to be victims of individuals that have an agenda to mock mine or anyone’s Christian faith.

I have participated in local Republican politics since 1982, fours years before I met my wife and six years before we were married. I have volunteered in every known position within hundreds of campaigns. I have managed district races and a few Countywide races. I became a local elected official in 2000. In 2004, I went away from my known campaign strategies and was unsuccessful in my re-election.

In 2006, I went back to my strategies and with the help of hundreds of volunteers led a Republican Countywide sweep. We also won every district race with the exception of the seat held by David Collins. However, today Republican Chuck Bolus holds the other Second District seat that was previously held by Democrat Billy Tindell.

In my campaign strategies, I have never violated my Christian faith. Politics is different and at times a bloody sport and part of my known strategies involve being aggressive and in the face of the opposition. I refuse to reveal my strategies, because on March 11, 2007, when I am no longer Party Chairman I will return to campaign involvement and management.

There are times when individuals (former opponents, political enemies, and local National Enquirer type writers and Editors) have an agenda to individually make me look bad, make my Christian faith, my Southern Baptist denomination or my Senior Pastor look bad.

I feel personally sorry for the individuals that are threatened by my work ethic, my Christian faith and me personally that they have to resort to such attacks and tactics.

I have spent sometime thinking about why I included my Church so prominently on my blog and I considered taking it down in response to criticism that has been leveled at my Church and my Senior Pastor and then I am reminded of the instruction that when you confess/acknowledge Christ in you, Christ is faithful and just to speak to the Father on our behalf. I have reconsidered that decision and will not remove it.

As a Christian those individuals that mock me, my church or my Senior Pastor are angry at themselves. They are angry for the life we have in Christ. As a Christian the road is harder because people are always looking at us to never make mistakes and never mess up. I make mistakes. I mess up. But, I have a Heavenly Father that is faithful and just to forgive me.

In the early 1980's Joel and LaBreeska Hemphill recorded a song entitled "I’m Not Perfect, Just Forgiven" So, I will say to you that I’m not perfect, just forgiven.

When I do mess up, as I will. I will do my best to make it right. All that I can do for those people that personally dislike me or my actions is pray for them. I will treat them kindly when I come in contact with them and will try with all my mind, soul and strength to show them the love of Jesus.

No comments: