Sunday, April 09, 2006

County Commissioner Mary Lou Horner Suspends Campaign For Re-election


I received the following statement last night and have confirmed it is accurate and true.

To Voters in the Seventh District:

Serving you has been my life for 28 years. Together, we have accomplished great things.

Now the state Supreme Court has declared me and 11 others ineligible to serve another term. On March 30, the Election Commission determined that it cannot remove us from the May 2 ballot because state law forbids a ballot change within 40 days of an election.

Therefore, the 12 of us are on a ballot but cannot serve.

I believe in following the law, so in view of the Court's ruling, I am suspending my campaign.

I will not endorse either of the individuals running for Seat A, but I encourage you to look for a candidate with integrity and honesty.

Don't forget, Early Voting starts this Wednesday. You can vote at the Clerk's office in Halls Center. Again, thank you for the privilege of serving you. I will remain involved.

Sincerely Yours,

Mary Lou Horner

3 comments:

Deacon David Oatney said...

For the record: Just because I am running as a write-in candidate in my Commission district doesn't mean I agreed with the Court's decision-I didn't. People like Mary Lou Horner are part of the reason why.

Steve Mule said...

I have to disagree. Mary Lou was a wonderful commissioner, true enough. But to few are like her. Term Limits increase citizn involvement and participation both as candidates and as voters.

SteveMule

Deacon David Oatney said...

Mule;
I am surprised to hear you say that-normally term limits are a big Republican issue.

I agree that term limits increase citizen involvement (witness me running), but they have a far more negative effect: They often lead to a dearth of good leadership, because the very best leaders are often shoveled out of office when they are needed most.