Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Prodigal Comes Home

I first met Michael English in the mid to late 1980's at the old WNOX auditorium on Whittle Springs Road. That was back when WNOX was a radio station not owned by Citadel Communications and was a good independently owned station.

Michael was performing with The Singing Americans, a Southern Gospel group. I have followed his career ever since through the Goodmans, Gaither Vocal Band and then his solo career. When he first fell from the grace of the fans. I had a conversation with John Hanna, the operations Manager of WRJZ Joy 62 and Love 89. I was upset over Christian radio pulling his music from the radio airwaves because I believed then as I still do today. The music isn't Michael's it is God's. God is the God of second chances. I told John then, if this is the decision it should be held for every other artist in Christian music. It hasn't been.

John Hanna has since passed and I believe he would have imposed the same restriction on all the others, had he been here.

Michael's 2007 published book, The Prodigal Comes Home details his story of failure and God's story of Redemption. Michael was at my church last year and I had a chance to spend time and talk with him. Following his visit to First Baptist Church, Concord I communicated with Michael.

His story is one to read and one to Praise and Thank God for. Michael's website is located, here. The video promotion for his book is located here. Michael's new Curb Records CD project, The Prodigal Returns will be released on February 26, 2008. I can't wait to add it to my ipod. I have the entire Michael English library on my ipod, including The Singing Americans music as well.

Michael, Thank you for sharing the story and the journey with me. God Bless.

No comments: