Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Communication With The Jury?

I read the Jack McElroy column on Sunday, three days ago. It seemed bizarre. But, at the time I thought. Well maybe he has been busy sitting in court and he is probably obligated to fill his space in the Sunday paper.

Last night at the Karns Republican Club meeting, a longtime political observer asked if I had seen the column and suggested that in hind sight, (which is 20/20, BTW) that this could have been communication with the jury. That is certainly against the rules. As each witness, left the stand Chancellor Fansler informed them not to talk with anyone by any form of communication.

I am not going to opine on what McElroy was thinking or doing. I would like know what your thoughts are on this issue?



One of Brian's Blog sources has forwarded the following statement and questions about the News-Sentinel's coverage surrounding the Sunshine Law.

Although I haven't read any of the stories, the electronic version of the KNS seems to be chock full of stories/opinion pieces about the Sunshine lawsuit.

If McElroy said that the lawsuit wasn't about selling newspapers, then why the widespread coverage in the paper? Why all the scandal mongering headlines? Why not just report the facts of the case?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Mini Mac would have said if the defese would have asked for the jury deliberations be open to the press and public.

Anonymous said...

I just saw Commisioners Greg Lambert and Mike hammond on channel 10s Inside Tennessee. They talked about political issues and as far as I know the public and other media was not invited. By this latest decision isn't that a violation of the sunshine law?