Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lord of the Flies

Well, I am now half way through my Summer Reading books for Farragut High School. My rising Ninth Grader is reading the three AP English books and the three school wide Summer Reading List books. Farragut High School only requires that you read one of the three school wide books. However, we are reading all three. I have always read the summer reading books that are assigned to my children.

I have recently read the two AP English books How to Read Literature Like a Professor and Raisin in the Sun. I just completed the third book, Lord of the Flies by William Golding. The theme of Lord of the Flies is an attempt to trace the defects of society back to the defects of human nature. It is easy to compare personalities and individuals that you are aware of to the characters in the book. I feel confident that I read this book when I was in high school. However, 25 years since my graduation I didn't remember it. So, this was a good assignment.

The next three books are the school wide books. The Theme is Life Lessons. the next read will be a re read for me. The Last Lecture is a book that I read a year or so ago. It is on one of our end tables at all times. So, I am going to pick it up and re-read it again. This time after Randy Pausch has passed. I will be back to posting about The Last Lecture and telling you which book will be the next read.

2 comments:

Logan Brummitt said...

I read Lord of the Flies at FHS as well...Great book

Cathy said...

Lord of the Flies made me cry both times I read it. I'm not reading it again.