Thursday, May 21, 2009

Second of Six Farragut High School Mandatory Summer Read Completed

As I have previously posted one of my middle school kids will be a Farragut high School student next year. The Farragut High School Mandatory Summer Read is to select one of three books. In addition rising 9th graders in AP English have three books to read. So, I am reading all six. A few days ago I finished reading Thomas Foster’s How to Read Literature like a Professor. Now, in the last two day I have just completed Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun.

In 1959, the landmark appearance of this her first play on Broadway found Lorraine Hansberry as not only the youngest American, not only the fifth woman but the first and only African American to win the coveted Best American Play award from the prestigious New York Drama Critics Circle.

This story is no different than detailing the struggle of a family. Individuals with different dreams, desires and motivations and how decisions create different results and how as a family we deal with them. As I read it, I kept thinking that Hansberry authored this play in the mid 1950’s and how the story is as relevant today as it was in the 50’s.

Hansberry passed away in 1965, four years after the play was released in a motion picture. This is a great story and a good read. I encourage you to read it.

It is interesting that after her passing a writing that she had left in an undated journal said. “If anything should happen - before ‘tis done - may I trust that all commas and periods will be placed and someone will complete my thoughts - Lorraine Hansberry. With this story, Hansberry adequately placed the period on a life truly fulfilled. It is just sad that her life was cut short.

No comments: