Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kuhlman & Newlon Out Early!

Hubert Smith of the Hubert Smith Radio Show and One on One with Hubert Smith called me following his attendance at a Phil Ballard money gathering reception and then Smith immediately posted on his Hubert Smith Radio Show Facebook page that Ruthie Kuhlman will be a candidate for Knox County Republican Party Chairman.

The Knox County Republican Party will reorganize in March 2013. Apparently. Ray Jenkins and Phyllis Severance are folding up their tent and going away.

Kuhlman is no stranger to the selection process. After an unsuccessful campaign for County Commission in the Fourth District. She immediately challenged Phyllis Severance three and a half years ago to be the Party's First Vice Chair. Kuhlman was rejected for Severance.

As a former Knox County Republican Party Chairman elected in March of 2005, I announced in January of 2005 and was elected unanimously in March!

Kuhlman's early entrance can only be an effort to scare competition or intimidate others from considering it.

I called Kuhlman tonight. She confirmed that she announced at Ballard's reception that she is a candidate. She confirmed that she intends to partner with former Phil Ballard and Roger Kane campaign consultant, Tim Newland.

I asked how her service would be different than Jenkins and Severance. She said, "I am not ready to talk to you about this." I asked why, she said "because you are going to put this on the blog." I said well yes, I have to beat Georgiana Vines and Sandra Clark.

She went on to say "Tim and I are going to work this out on Saturday." "After Saturday I will be happy to discuss this." She went on to say "that she was urged to run, get out early and is getting tremendous support."

I asked about Tim Newland and would she work with whoever the party selected. In the same way, that she challenged Severance and was unsuccessful would she work with someone else selected by the party?

She said, "I would." She went on to say about Newland, "he ran Phil Ballard & Roger kane's campaigns. He wants to eventually run for office himself."

Kuhlman indicated that there is talk that Former West Knox Republican Club President John Gabriel is considering running for Chairman. Gabriel who is currently the finance chairman for Republican State Representative Candidate Gary Loe's campaign is all Republican, all the time. He has organized county wide fundraisers (golf tournament), several West Knox Republican Club fundraisers that have assisted many Republican candidates. He is not a faction player meaning that he is not part of any faction or group of the Republican party.

In an effort to be open and transparent as I am sure Kuhlman will be in her candidacy. Her daughter is an employee of Property Assessor Phil Ballard's office.

As we were hanging up, she said I know you dislike the Ballard's. I corrected Kuhlman on the falsehood. Saying I am sure Phil has lied to you about me, he does that often. I love my fifth cousin Cindy Ballard. I am not a fan of Phil because I know his past.

Pictured below is a photograph of Kuhlman when she ran in the 2010 Republican Primary for County Commission before losing in the General Election to Democrat Finbarr Saunders. Also pictured is Tim Newland during an event with Roger Kane.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She want closed primarys??

Anonymous said...

Well stated!

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me she heard others may be announcing and wanted to announce as a way of “icing” out the competition. The fact she had not met with Newland to discuss their strategy or platform is an indication of a rash decision to make her announcement. While there is value in being the first to market, just like the Beta tape player - first doesn’t mean better and certainly doesn’t mean long term success

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me she heard others may be announcing and wanted to announce as a way of “icing” out the competition. The fact she had not met with Newland to discuss their strategy or platform is an indication of a rash decision to make her announcement. While there is value in being the first to market, just like the Beta tape player - first doesn’t mean better and certainly doesn’t mean long term success.