Thursday, February 21, 2008

Brian's Blog Exclusive: Speech of Amy Henley Vandergriff to County Commission

Brian's Blog in this post is detailing the speech of Amy Henley Vandergriff to the Knox County Commission on Wednesday. The speech was written by Amy during the commissioner appointments in the Main Assembly Room of the City County Building.

We are here today over a year later with a second chance to do the right thing. It is not hard to do the right thing when the right people step up." "I decided to seek the vacant seat for the clerk's office only after overwhelming encouragement from the public to clean up the mess that currently exists in the Knox County Clerk's office.

My phone has rung off the hook from voters asking me to seek this appointment." "I stand up for them as their voice and symbol of that change at the hazard of my opponent and his media network placing me in their sights." "Right now this is front page news and everybody is watching." "I want you and all of Knox County to know that I plan to do the right thing NOW and I will continue to do the right thing when no one is watching.

The only reason that I wouldn't seek this position would be self preservation. Self preservation is the "good ole' boy" way of thinking. I didn't see this as an opportunity to have an advantage in the General election. My opponent has clearly stated he is not interested in serving the public through this process.

I am seeking this appointment for the same reason, I'm on the ballot in August. I want to be apart of restoring the trust of the public in the government that serves them.

I knew in advance that once I announced my desire to seek this appointment, I would be a target for the media sources that have endorsed my opponent, a person who has no experience in this capacity.

I weighed all "the good ole boy rhetoric", they support going against what is the right thing to do for the citizens of Knox County.

I decided to stand up for them as a single voice representing their vote for change. I believe by the powerful statement the voters recently made in the primary that they want change and they want it now.

By the way, not one sentence of Amy's speech was found in Rebecca Ferrar's News~Sentinel article from the appointment meeting. I am sure Rebecca included it, I am fairly certain the editor's would not include it.

No comments: